Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Earth Day art FREEBIE, ICE CREAM, and the tale of the V-word!

Happy Wednesday, Peeps!! Kerri here...
There is a spring in my step, and that is because not only was it our FABULOUS Jog-a-thon today, but I also only have 3, count them, 3 more sleeps until SPRING BREAK, BABY!! That's right, come Saturday I'll be on a jet plane headed for SEATTLE and OREGON!! YAY!! 


Here is a little Earth Day art project FREEBIE for all y'all...


Here are the dimensions:
9 x 12 light blue background
5 x 12 skin color (I folded it in half, traced my daughter's hand and then cut it out once)
Earth pattern (click picture above to access this)
3 x 4 red folded in half for the heart (I used pretty scrapbook paper)
Writing paper so the kids can write how they love the Earth (also included with download, click photo above)


This art project ties in perfectly with my Earth Day Math and Literacy Unit, found here:

and my Earth Day writing center, found here:
Thank you SOOO much to those of you who have already purchased it! 


Here are some photos of our ice cream making on Tuesday. We did this very scientifical experiment to wrap up our unit on Matter...
Shakey Shakey Shakey, turning a liquid into a solid!
YAY!! In approximately 5-8 minutes, ICE CREAM!!


Here are the ingredients if you would like to try it with your class:

1 sandwich baggy per student filled with:
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
Seal baggy tight and then place this baggy inside a gallon sized baggy filled 1/3 full with ice and about 3 tablespoons of salt (I eyeballed it). Fold over  or seal the gallon sized baggy and shake like mad for 5-8 minutes. When ice cream is solid, throw away gallon baggy, open up ice cream baggy and eat with a spoon. DELISH!! My kids went BANANAS!

Okay, here we go...The Tale of the V-word (you might have heard of it?? It rhymes with ragina...)

Today, in reading groups, I was listening to a couple of my sweeties partner read while using the fabulous HEAR-ALL assessment recorder (Exhibit A):
My kiddos are reading together nicely, as I am giving them my best and fullest attention (like a good teacher should do, right?) 

At the same time, I am giving the evil eye to any student who dares interrupt the Hear-All recording my students reading. I successfully evil-eyed 2 students away from the reading table, but when this little darling came up, she was ON A MISSION. There would be NO DETERRING this one, no matter how evil my eyes were.
 
Cutie Pie Girl: "Mrs. B, Mrs. B, So and So said a word that is private..."
Me: Gesturing wildly to be quiet, while giving her the stink eye...
Cutie Pie Girl: "So and So said a private word and he said vagina!"

OH NO SHE DIDINT! And, WHILE the Hear-All assessment recorder was RECORDING! GAH! This little diddy recorded her words CLEAR AS A BELL! I was planning on emailing this little recording to the parents of my students who were reading, but NOT ANYMORE, obviously.

Me: (Deep breath) He said what??
Cutie Pie Girl: Vagina.

Me: So and So, come here please.
So and So: What?? I don't even know what it means.
Me: What word did you say?
So and So: Fagina?? I heard it on the playground. I don't even know what it means!
Me: (covering my mouth so he doesn't see me DYING...) Well, it's not a word we say at school and I don't want to hear you say it again.

SERIOUSLY? Va-jay jay? I am not making this up, people!

Needless to say, the actual, REAL Hear-All Assessment Recorder review and giveaway has been postponed while I recover from the V-word debaucle. Stay tuned...
XOXO Kerri

7 comments:

Unknown said...

hilarious! I love you exhibit A and the stink eye and wild arms. I can TOTALLY relate. V-Word Hilarious!!!

Unknown said...

SO funny! The Earth Day Pack looks great!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Lisa at Fourth and Ten said...

Thanks so much for the Earth Day writing! I love it! :)
Lisa
Stories From Second

Dana said...

Thank you for the cute Earth Day activities! And oh dear....the V word!!! AHHHH!

Dana
3rd Grade Gridiron

Chrissy said...

That's so funny! Sorry you recording was ruined, though.
--Chrissy
http://firstgradefoundme.blogspot.com

EmBellish said...

Haha! Hilarious. A few weeks ago when we were learning about the the Digestive System and the Human Body one of my little boys shouted "PENIS!" across the entire classroom because he thought he saw one on the digestive system diagram. Oh boy.

Emily
Tangled with Teaching

Wolfelicious said...

Hi! I tagged you girls. You are now it! Come by my blog to find out more.

April
Wolfelicious

Post a Comment